I decided that Prezi should be the platform to tell the story as it can create an interesting static (NB when I use this term it relates to the fact that Prezi is not a moving image or video/film. Instead it moves between text, images and video if needs) way of telling the story.
I have included different multimedia platforms and will discuss them:
– Firstly, I made use of iPhone technology. In the story, Billy Bones has a map to treasure island that Jim acquires. I used Photoshop to incorporate a treasure map onto an iPhone screen and claimed that Billy Bones showed his iPhone to Jim who later sent the picture as a MMS to Jim’s own phone. This later became a motif; Jim sends the picture to Captain Smollett’s phone (instead of him giving him the map); Long John Silver Bluetooths (another phone technology) the image to his phone (instead of him stealing the map).
– I also used the technology of texting and messaging in another way. A wench creates a party with Captain Jack Sparrow (added in only due to the fact I wanted the modern appeal of POTC to complement and connect with my work). Jim texts the Captain to warn him of Long John’s treachery.
– Jim sells Billy Bone’s iPhone on eBay since he disappeared to hospital. This reflected the original where Jim flees a pirates attack on the tavern he a Bones live at.
– Facebook was a huge part of my project. I used it to bridge the gap of Jim meeting Dr Livesey and Squire Trelawney and organising a ship and crew. Instead they contacted ‘Cappy Smollet’ and he in turn invited crew members into a Facebook group to set sail to find the treasure. I put a fair bit of work into making this believable. Since I had used university friend’s pirate night out photographs as roles of the characters, I became Cappy Smollet (Facebook would not let me use ‘Captain’ as a first name when I created his profile) and invited my friends into the group. I asked they change their profile pictures to their pirate costumes and accept Cappy’s friend request and right a pirate style answer to joining his crew; eg Cappy: Who wants to join my crew……Someone: Aye Cap’n I will. After a few people had signed up, I took a screenshot of the Facebook page and then painstakingly changed all their Facebook names to characters in the books names. (see below) ‘JOHN ANKIN’ became ‘BLIND PEW’ etc.
I wont lie, this was a tricky, delicate task.
I also commented on two situation Facebook users come across. The first was saying that Jim got very close friends with Long John and listed him as his ‘Dad’ on Facebook – many users do do this! In the story, Long John is like a father figure to Jim. Secondly was the act of ‘Fraping’ or ‘Facebook Raping’ by altering statuses and settings on someone elses account usually using profanity or changing their gender/birthday/sexual orientation. Long John does this to Captain Smollett, another act of villainy.
– In the original, Jim catches Long John Silver discussing his evil plans whilst he is hiding in a barrel of apples. I modernised this saying Jim was fixing an Apple as in Mac 😀
– Another example of smart phone use, Jim uses an Application (Buried Treasure Ap) to locate the treasure.
– Mina and Long John are part of a ‘poke war’, another recognisable function on Facebook. This leads to her blocking him. Note, in the original it is Ben Gunn who is left on the island but I used the Muppet’s interpretation of this (a means of fitting Miss Piggy into the story) and called her Benjamina (Mina).
– This part I am particularly proud of. In the story, Long John Silver and Ben Gunn were part of Captain Flint’s crew and Long John left Ben on the island. I had to incorporate that into my own story. After the couple break up (Mina and Long John), Silver leaves the island on his vessel “The Broadband”; Mina’s connection was too slow and therefore she missed the boat she intended to leave on. I then made a slow at the fact slow internet causes media content to buffer (normally taking aaaaages) and sometimes it doesn’t even work when I said: “Mina’s connection was too slow however, and she missed her boat. She waited for ‘HMS Buffering’ to come but it never happened.”
– Blackberry Messenger is something that has revolutionised smart phone technology. I thought I would include the fact that people get completely immersed in the world of ‘BBMing’ as its now called. I thought a nice tie-in with POTC’s Jack Sparrow could fit in here nicely.
– Finally, I incorporated a Google Map I had created which details the voyage:
My Prezi of TREASURE ISLAND: http://prezi.com/iikwa0vqm2nv/treasure-island/
My Google Map of TREASURE ISLAND: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
I also did a Wordle of a chapter from Treasure Island.
This is the link to the chapter I used: http://www.online-literature.com/stevenson/treasureisland/
This is what the Wordle looked like:
I created my own theme with this. I used a black background which I feel makes bright colours really stand out. I used a cheeky, fun font and the colours blue, orange, yellow, red and purple to achieve my desired effect. I think it looks pretty good but the main interest of it is how so many words are used many times.