The logging of our footage, audio and visual, took around 4 hours. Despite having clear log sheets, it was still a very time consuming process. Piecing together the sequences and synchronising the audio was relatively an easy process. There was an initial issue with drop frames but we rectified this by re-logging and capturing the footage.
After a late night of arduous work, we managed to shift together something to show our peers the following day so that they could provide some feedback and criticisms on things we had missed or overlooked. It’s incredibly helpful to have an outside eye looking at your work and being brutally honest about things ergo your film can become even better.
We delivered our Rough Cut to the main body of the group and I honestly expected to get utterly slated. There were comments I knew we would get regarding lighting issues, grading and missing shots (something which we planned to pick-up the following day) but I was quite pessimistic about how the film would be received. However, I was surprised at how much positive feedback we received and how many helpful suggestions people put forwards to us.
Here is what we received feedback wise off the NASSSH blog:
- It’s a nice narrative and nice to see older people being used in a student film. Different and breaking boundaries.
- The dialogue is great and it actually sounds like a few people’s grandparents – this means people related to our characters.
- The tracking shot of the feet at the end – is it needed because it doesn’t add anything and it’s possibly too long.
- The sound levels need normalising (there are places where they are louder/quieter than others).
- Technically it needs a lot of tweaking with regards to grading, colour correcting and stabilising.
- It needs more of a beginning to ease the audience in, rather than just starting the action straight away.
- Do we need to re-shoot the kitchen scene because it’s too orange and might be difficult to rescue in post production?
- The exposure needs looking at in a specific scene.
- A music track would be tremendously beneficial to the feel of the film – this was something we had considered but had not got round to doing at the time we presented.
Armed with these comments we were then ready to improve the film as it was and polish the very rough copy. The technical difficulties that had arose as a knock on effect from our accident on set (which we explained to the feedback group) were the only main areas of issue. As far as the narrative went, people really reacted to it positively and picked up on all the subtle jokes.
Our rough cut needs a lot of polishing and we really have to film our pick-up shots. The suggestion of re-shooting the kitchen scene is out of the question; it would cost far too much to bring our actors up from London or alternatively to travel down to them. We will just have to do a lot of grading work in the editing process.
After the feedback, we met with the lecturers to discuss their advice and what we needed to do next in their opinion. We managed to produce this for them however, we still had a lot of work to do.
Here’s the rough cut:
These are the comments we came up with ourselves (from the NASSSH Blog) “Looking at the rough cut there are a few things we noticed. The side shot of Harold and Geraldine sat in the park with the car in the background is really nice, but the only thing about that shot is that it would have been nice to do a focus pull between Harold and Geraldine when they’re speaking.
The JIB shot at the beginning is nice, apart from the fact that half way through it gets wonky, which other people picked up on, but in our defence the road had a slope and setting it up was difficult anyway.
With the shot of the couple coming out the house, the original was a much less cropped shot as you could see more of the actors and the sign on the house, but I had got into the reflection of the window on the right hand side of the door, and it was our best take, so I had to do some cropping magic here.
We also like the shot at the end, which we had actually reversed. Our original idea was to have this shot as an establishing shot for the last scene and the camera would come down and you’d see the couple holding hands before it fades out, and then the last scene would be the track going away from the couple, but the camera zooming in to give a disorienting, but at the same time, quite cool, effect. But when we tried it it didn’t work so we moved the establishing shot to the end. The other reason for reversing it was because the camera doesn’t linger long enough on them holding hands and it’s nice to see the location at the end, where the camera does linger. There is an issue with this shot however. All the birds in the background fly and swim backwards. Although not easily noticeable it does look rather daft.
The rough cut isn’t too shabby but really needs a lot of work to look great. I’ve showed it to a few people not on the course and they expressed different views (mainly on the story and look rather than the technical aspects as they are not trained to do this). One particular comment that struck me was from my Aunty who has had a lot of experience dealing with elderly people with dementia and Alzheimer’s. She said that Geraldine seemed to show very early signs of this horrific illness and although this was not the decodation I expected, it is still really useful to know as other people could pick up on this. I believe that the piece could be seen as touching on the subject subtly and gently whilst still maintaining a lovely story in some people’s views. This is not of great concern to me as I know I wrote the story and we filmed it without this in mind and therefore I don’t feel I have brushed up on something quite daunting with deliberate intent.
Just wait for the final piece!!!!